Thursday, January 20, 2011

Feelings towards the characters

The interesting concept about this play is that racist people, or people who are convinced by Iago's lies, could easily take Iago's side. If what Iago is saying about Othello sleeping with his wife is valid, then I could see where Iago is coming from as well; however, I do not believe that it's true. Automatically, I judged Iago to be a bad guy or the villain, and I believed Roderigo to be naive. In fact, I feel awful for Roderigo because he is being dragged into something that will never allow him to benefit. I mean, obviously Barbantino would not approve of his love for Desdemona. "In honest plainness thou has heard me say my daughter is not for thee." (I.i.114-115) And I think Desdemona made it pretty clear she did not want him either. The really odd thing is, I do not necessarily feel sympathy towards Desdemona. I am not sure why, but although she is the victim in the situation, I do not feel like she deserves pity...yet. I do feel sorry for Othello, because he seems like a good man, and he seems to be truly trustworthy and in love with Desdemona. Let's just hope these rumors about him sleeping with Emilia are not true.

1 comment:

  1. i find myself feeling bad for Roderigo too. He's the naive pawn in all this.

    ReplyDelete