Thursday, January 27, 2011

Tragic Romance??

Othello is a Shakespearean tragedy. Shock to all, I know. However, if one was not aware of the classification of the play, their hopes will be more optimistic than those who are informed. In the play, there is no murder or intense action until the fifth act; therefore, one may hope that things will turn around in favor of Desdemona, Othello, and Cassio. There is no hope for them. Even though I was aware of the classification of the play, I still thought that MAYBE POSSIBLY Othello will discover the truth before anything too severe takes place. I really love and appreciate a good romance, but I do not know how if I can really classify this as a romantic play. Yes, the last scene is romantic because Othello takes his life because he did something so terrible to the woman he loved. However, most of the play consisted of hatred, revenge, and jealousy. In order for me to say that the play was romantic, there needs to be some more affection show.

No comments:

Post a Comment