Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Diversity of Characters

"Come. There is a way to be good again, Rahim Khan had said on the phone just before hanging up. Said it in passing, almost as an afterthought....A way to be good again" (pg 192).

This line made me absolutely stoked for what is to come!! I am praying that Hassan comes back into the story soon because so far, he has been my favorite character (predictable, I know). I am sure that people have been complaining about Amir's selfishness, and I am no different. Amir's casual self-righteousness bothered me so much within the first ten chapters. No matter the circumstance, he was always putting himself before others, and majority of the time he knew that what he was doing was wrong. However, the diversity of the characters and their personalities are what make this story so intriguing and tragic. If Hassan had not been this amazing child, who always put his friend before himself, then the audience would not feel such pain and anger when he endured the hurt from rape. Of course, there would be sympathy no matter what, but due to Hassan's caring and giving soul, the hurt was exaggerated nonetheless. If Amir redeems himself in the end of this novel, then I will be more than satisfied. I cannot tell, but this novel has an eerie feeling and I am afraid of an anything-but-happy ending...

No comments:

Post a Comment