Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Father-son relationship

"Nothing was free in this world. maybe Hassan was the price I had to pay, the lamb I had to slay, to win Baba. Was it a fair price? The answer floated to my conscious mind before I could thwart it: He was just a Hazara wasn't he?" (pg 76)

I know that prior to this blog, I discussed my frustration with Amir. But one has to wonder why Amir's thought process was so selfish when faced with rough situations. He mentions that he wants to do well to impress his father, but I cannot decide whether or not that is an excuse to betray such a loyal friend. If Baba had not been so distant to Amir while raising him, I believe that Amir would try to behave as Baba. He would want to be the loyal, honest, confident man that Baba had been as a father to him. However, the fact that Babe only showed and told of his disappointment in his son and his behavior, Amir did not feel adequate enough for his father's love and appreciation. Because of the lack of affection, Amir had to stoop so low as to risk the well-being of a best friend, a brother. It is so hard to make up my mind on how I feel towards Amir and Baba. They both have their stronger qualities that I admire; however, both of them lack good judgment at times throughout the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment