Thursday, December 9, 2010

My Adaptation of "You're Ugly, Too"


PLOT


If I were to adapt "You're Ugly, Too" into a film, I would elaborate more on the individual scenes of Zoe's life. From the book, it is difficult to understand her relationships with her students, co-workers, doctors, and friends because we do not personally witness those common relationships when reading the short story. For example, I would want some sort of display of her every day life. I would want to see Zoe at her house in the morning and when she picks up her morning coffee on the way to work, and Zoe in the classroom interacting with her students. I want to see Zoe go home and make a TV dinner for herself while she laughs, alone, watching the pathetic lives of people on reality television shows. Also, I want to see her with her sister Evan, and how they communicate with one another. By showing their relationship through actions, the audience can see if it is a love-hate, sisterly relationship, or if it is more similar to being best friends or complete enemies. Towards the end of the story, there is a scene where Zoe is at a party and interacts with a man named Earl. Instead of ending the film at this scene, I would want to extend the movie to show Zoe leaving the party, heading home, and being comfortable with her life. I do not want some elaborate romantic relationship because Zoe seems to be happy when she is alone, and changing that would mean I was changing Zoe as a character. If the film were to be adopted, I would be sure to leave her personality unchanged.



SETTING


Similar as to what I said earlier, I would want Zoe to be active in several locations throughout the movie. I enjoy the modern time period because it fits Zoe as an independent character. However, I think I would change her location in the story. I want her to live in a suburban community in New York. By doing this, it would show Zoe being content with a less-glamorous life, and satisfaction towards the home she has made for herself. I would want a setting at her home, in the garden attempting to tend to her yard, at school where she interacts with her students, in the city with her sister, at the movies, and at the party where she meets Earl. Also, I want a few scenes where she is in the doctor's office. Throughout the short story, Zoe occasionally speaks of her illness, but we are never fully-informed. I want to see how she handles her illness and how she handles the news from her doctors. Having her in the doctor's office means that we are able to physically see the reaction on her face when she receives the news.


POINT OF VIEW


For the film, I would want first-person point of view in which Zoe narrates the film. I want her thoughts to become words, so that the audience can understand her reasoning behind her actions and her statements. Personally, I found her actions to be humorous; therefore, I am almost positive that her thoughts which develop those actions are more amusing. Also, I think that having her narrate the film would be mean that we would get to see Zoe as a more complex person. Although we occassionally see her emotional side, such as the scene where she decides not to tell Evan of the suicide, I want to see more of her serious side. I want to know if she feels lonely, and if she does, does it bother her. I do not necessarily want to provoke sympathy towards Zoe as a character, I just want people to understand the thoughts that process inside her head, instead of developing theories on their own. I know, an imaginitive audience is not a bad thing, but I really love Zoe and I want others to enjoy her, too.


Characterization

When adapting “You’re Ugly, Too” into a film, I would use indirect characterization to reveal the personality behind the main character, Zoe. Her eccentric behavior could not reasonably be described without demonstration. Her actions have to speak as a description of her character. However, the film would be narrated in Zoe’s point of view, so naturally the audience would hear her thoughts aloud which would also help reveal Zoe’s character. When she is interacting with others, I want her to tell jokes and be sarcastic, but I do not want her to sound bitter when telling the jokes, but light-hearted. I want to portray Zoe as a woman who is content with being alone. I do not want others to misinterpret her character, thinking that she is a bitter lady with resentment towards love utterly because she is lonely. Therefore, I would be sure to enhance the scene where Zoe tells Earl her feelings toward love. I want her explanation of love to look as if it is directed toward him because he hurt her feelings for calling out the piece of toilet paper on her face. I do not want her to look as if she is saying such pessimistic things because she really feels love is this terrible thing. Never will Zoe look desperate in my film, but rather, independent.

Theme

Throughout the film, there would be aspects of women independence. This is the reason I think I am so fond of the short story. I love that Zoe overcomes the frequent stereotypes where women are inferior to men, and women are these sappy, love-obsessed people. She is the antagonist of dependability. She tends to her home and her yard, when yard work is often seen as a man’s job. She provides for herself, and she does not rely on a man to make her happy. Independence would be the theme I would try to portray the most. Also, I want the audience to be aware of strength when dealing with difficulties. Obviously throughout the short story she is dealing with an illness in her gall bladder. I do not want to evoke sympathy, but I do want the audience to recognize her strength when dealing with the side effects of her illness. I want her to be a happy person, and when she communicates with others she has a smile on her face, even after she is making a blunt joke.


No comments:

Post a Comment