Monday, February 28, 2011

I love Ruth!

In the commencement of the play, one thing that really caught my attention was the description of Ruth. The playwright describes Ruth as a beautiful woman who looks older than her age due to stress and worry. I will admit that in the beginning of the play, I found Ruth to be annoying and I thought that she treated her husband as though he was not capable of achieving his goals; however, as the play continued I grew more fond of Ruth's character. When most people read this play, I am willing to bet that they learn to love Mama and appreciate Beneatha's willingness to stand up for her beliefs and independence, but I became attached to Ruth's sense of compassion. Although she was struggling herself, she always put Mama and Walter first. Walter treats her with disrespect at times, but she always offers herself to him fully. I believe that Ruth is an exemplary woman, and I admire her patience when dealing with such hardships. Often times I think stay-at-home mothers do not receive the gratitude that they should for all of their hard work. If anything, I learned to appreciate Ruth throughout this play, and learned to respect a woman who cares for her family. Yes, I am sort of a feminist.

No comments:

Post a Comment