Thursday, September 30, 2010

Haunting

I found the poem, "The Apparition" to be interesting, but eerie. At first, my small group had troubles on deciding whether or not the woman was LITERALLY killing him. However, we came to the conclusion that he was not actually dead, just growing tired of "it." I do not know exactly what "it" is supposed to represent, or the reasoning behind his punishment for her. Although, in the second stanza, line 5, when the speaker says, "and thee, feigned vestal, in worse arms shall see," I thought this may be his reasoning.

My interpretation of "feigned vestal" was a person pretending to be a virgin; therefore, I thought that the speaker would haunt his ex-lover because she tell her new partner that she had never been with anyone physically before then. Toward the end of the poem, the speaker talks about how he wanted to wait to haunt her when he is dead, but he grew tired of waiting so he haunts her now. In line 9, where the speaker is referring to a "calling" for more, I assumed that speaker was calling for more from the woman. At that point in time he would be haunting her, so he was asking for more trouble of some sort?? I don't know. Too many questions with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment