Thursday, September 23, 2010

"next to of course god america i"

This poem, written by E. E. Cummings was difficult for me to follow due to the lack in punctuation. I went through several understandings of the poem, before deciding on what I believed the speaker was trying to convey. The way he rambles on about American pride and patriotism is much like the way I am at Church. I say things, and have no idea what they mean or why I am saying them, I just participate because that is what I have always done. It is not that I don't believe in what I am saying, I just do not comprehend the meaning during the Mass. I guess I could say the same thing about America. There has not been a time in my life, besides September 11th, that I have truly understood what patriotism is all about. I know that I should be proud of my country, and everyone that has worked for our freedom, but freedom has always existed for me; therefore, I take freedom for granted. I respect those who serve for our country, but I know next to nothing about politics and where I stand. I almost think it is unfair for those who do not register what they are saying, to be able to sing the national anthem and recite the pledge of allegiance.

1 comment: