Thursday, September 16, 2010

Toad Action

I really like the point the poet, Philip Larkin, is trying to make in "Toads." From what my group understood during our discussion in class, there are two toads in the poem. One toad symbolizes work, and the other toad symbolizes pride; the work toad is revealed directly and the pride toad is inferred by the reader. In the poem, the speaker questions why he cannot use his "wits" to get paid, instead of working a job he hates. His point made complete sense to me! I mean, who wants to work six out of the seven days a week, in a job they find a burden? Nobody. However, toward the end of the poem in stanza six, there is a shift in which he admits that his pride (toad #2) overcomes his desires, and he wants to work for what he earns, whether it be in a job he enjoys or not. I understand where he is coming from in this stanza, too. Although my job is insignificant and I do not hold a position of admiration, I like to work hard for the paycheck I receive every week. In fact, it bothers me when I am at work and see people slacking off, or slowing down when it is a time to stay on one's feet. In the very last stanza of the poem, I like how he admits that losing both pride and work would be hard, after he complains for the entire first half of the poem about how he dislikes it. It seems to me as though he is arguing with himself throughout the entire work, which makes it easier for the audience to relate. I get in heated arguments with myself all the time, and it is nice to know I am not crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment