Thursday, September 9, 2010

What a Creep!

The poem "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain," was such a WEIRD poem!! Emily Dickinson is a creep. Who writes about imagining their own funeral?! Anyway, Emily consistently uses her senses throughout the work, except for one: the sense of sight. Frequently one imagines the various sounds that she is hearing ("And then I heard them life a Box...") or the way that she feels while lying still; however, she never describes what she sees. The absence of sight is what revealed the image of her lying in her own coffin. I love that she ends the poem with a dash, leaving the reader to develop their own ending and ideas of what might have happened. I am assuming that this is the point where she is moving on to the afterlife, or to Heaven depending on her beliefs. When she hears the people walking by her casket in "Boots of Lead," it automatically gave me an eerie feeling. I am still confused as to why she is imagining her own funeral, and also, I want to know how she was picturing her death taking place. I cannot tell if the poet is suicidal, or just enduring a painful event that led to these thoughts. Another point that confused me was the use of random capital letters throughout the poem. It is used in other works, too, but usually it is because those particular words are of more importance; however, the only thing I notice about the capitalized words in "I felt a Funeral, in my Brain," is that they all are nouns. Does anybody have any answers or theories?

No comments:

Post a Comment