Thursday, September 30, 2010

Poor lads

"Getting Out." I LOVE THIS POEM! Number one, because I think it is romantic and heartwrenching at the same time. Number two, because I believe there is more to the poem than what everyone sees! (Except period 8, because we are AWESOME.)

Anyway! In the beginning of the poem, the speaker continuously uses the term "we." Every task completed in the first stanza, is completed by the couple TOGETHER at nighttime. However, all of the words have a negative connotation. For example, "inmates," "beat," "refusal," "escape," all imply some sort of imprisonment and the feeling of being trapped. Then, as one reads the second and third stanzas, the couple begins to do things without each other, during the day. At the end of the poem, the speaker suggests that the couple's departure at their divorce hearing ended in tears, while holding hands, hestitating to let go. In my opinion, I think this couple was truly in love, and continues to have very strong feelings towards one another. I think the problem between the two of them, since never stated directly in the poem or elsewhere, is their inability to have children. They "work" at night and "hardly [sleep]," but decide that it is best not to be together because they both want children. This theory/interpretation may be way outside the cone of meaning, but it is the only thing that makes perfect sense to me! This theory also made me interpret the tone as reminiscent or sorrowful, due to the fact that they had to give up someone they love, for something else. Nothing can ever work out the way one wants it to, I swear! The poor lads!

No comments:

Post a Comment