Thursday, April 21, 2011

Benevolence/Malevolence

"...I saw at the open window a figure the most hideous and abhorred. A grin was on the face of the monster; he seemed to jeer, as his fiendish finger he pointed towards the corpse of my wife. I rushed towards the window, and drawing a pistol from my bosom, fired; but he eluded me, leaped from his station, and running with the swiftness of lightning, plunged into the lake" (pg 187).

Earlier in the novel, I blogged about my feelings of sympathy towards the monster and state of loneliness...and I am sure that I was not the only one who felt bad for the poor, "wretched" monster. After this scene, though, where he guiltlessly murders Elizabeth, my feelings have changed a bit. I think this is why the creation of Frankenstein is such an interesting character. He evokes different emotions from the audience at different times in the story. For example, towards the middle, the audience could relate to his hurt and agony, but now they despise him for his evil acts. In my opinion, Mary Shelley uses the monster as a perfect portrayal of society. The monster shows both benevolence and malevolence (lack of benevolence) that society maintains. Although difficult for us to admit, we are created to be benevolent beings; however, it is easier to be malevolent after enduring hardships. This is why it is easy for the audience to relate with Frankenstein's monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment