Thursday, April 14, 2011

Elizabeth and Victor

"And when, on the morrow, she presented Elizabeth to me as her promised gift, I, with childish seriousness, interpreted her words literally and looked upon Elizabeth as mine--mine to protect, love, and cherish. All praises bestowed on her I received as made to a possession of my own..."

I am sure that this is a common topic or question among the audience: what is the relationship between Victor and Elizabeth? Although they refer to each other throughout the first half of the novel as "cousin," there seems to be more there than family relations. Victor continues to describe Elizabeth as someone who was "more than a sister" but that leaves so much room for interpretation. Does he mean that he loves her in a different way than a sister? Or does it mean that they are just really close? Although it would be sort of creepy if they had romantic feelings toward one another, I almost think it would be kind of cute. Technically, they are not related and have grown up side-by-side; therefore, they already know one another and care for one another. But how would there family react? Would they expect a romantic relationship to form between to the two of them, or would they be completely surprised? Ahh the suspense! I secretly hope they get together, and that she does not die (because that is what people are telling me will most likely happen). I am going to remain positive, and hope for a happy ending between the two, even though Victor makes it clear that he winds up miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment