Thursday, April 21, 2011

Theme: Loneliness

"Who can describe their horror and consternation on beholding me? Agatha fainted, and Safie, unable to attend o her friend, rushed out of the cottage. Felix darted forward, and with supernatural force tore me from his father, to whose knees I clung...But my heart sank within me as with bitter sickness, and I refrained...I quitted the cottage, and in the general tumult escaped unperceived to my hovel" (pg 129).

Of course, as any other human being with a heart, I felt sympathy towards the creature while he told his story. However, this particular scene, a great example of a main theme (loneliness), had me sitting up in bed with my eyes glued to the text. I had high hopes for the monster when he chose to introduce himself to the cottagers. By the routine of their daily lives, they seemed open-hearted and kind, and I guessed that they would take the monster in as a friend. Obviously, I am too optimistic at times. Their rejection of the monster not only made him he feel alone, abandoned, and hopeless, but it made me feel hopeless for the monster, too. He honestly is not asking for much! In fact, I think he has worked for the cottagers for so long that he deserves more than acceptance...he deserves a friend or a companion. I have not finished the novel, but I do know that the monster has asked Frankenstein to create him a woman with a similar appearance. To me, this is the saddest part. He must ASK to have someone CREATED in order for him to feel less lonely. If Frankenstein understands his story and feels sympathy, too, then why doesn't he take the monster in as his friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment