Thursday, April 21, 2011

Foreshadowing

"For a few moments I gazed with delight on her dark eyes, fringed by deep lashes, and her lovely lips; but presently my rage returned; I remembered that I was forever deprived of the delights that such beautiful creatures could bestow and that she whose resemblance I contemplated would, in regarding me, have changed that air of divine benignity to one expressive of digust and affright" (pg 136).

In this scene, when the monster revels at the beauty of William's mother, he reflects on his lonely life where he does not get to experience the affection of a woman. After he describes the beauty of the woman in the picture, I knew that he was trying to foreshadow his desire for a woman of his own. I knew that somehow he was going to attain a female companion of his own. Sure enough, at the end of the chapter, he requests the creation of a woman to Frankenstein. This request reminded me of one of the Frosty the Snowman episodes shown on ABC Family during the Christmas season. There is one episode where the kids roll up another snowman, or snowwoman, to be Frosty's wife so that he is not alone when the kids go inside after dark. They are both lonely, strange creatures with kind hearts that deserve someone to acknowledge them. It will be interesting to see IF the female monster is ever created, and what she will look like if she is created. Will they be happy together? Or will it be the disaster that Frankenstein predicted?

No comments:

Post a Comment