Thursday, April 14, 2011

Foil characters

"Believe me, Frankenstein, I was benevolent; my soul glowed with love and humanity; but am I not alone, miserably alone? You, my creator, abhor me; what hope can I gather from your fellow creature, who owe me nothing? They spurn and hate me. The desert mountains and dreary glaciers are my refuge..." (pg 96)

Although it may be too early in the novel to tell, I believe that Frankenstein and his monsters are foil characters. In my opinion, the monster is more logical and humane than Frankenstein, who automatically characterizes his creation as evil and disastrous. So far, after his creation, Frankenstein seems to have become less human and more like a monster. However, his creation seems to becoming more human. The monster talks in an eloquent manner which emphasizes his characteristics as a human being. On the other hand, Frankenstein shuts the monster out and refuses to accept any explanation he provides to justify his behavior. Also, Frankenstein judged his creation before talking to him and getting to know him; he automatically characterized him as destructive and scary. The monster only wants a chance, but is willing to walk away when Frankenstein asks him to leave. "Thus I relieve thee, my creator." (pg 97) Frankenstein demonstrates hatred while Frankenstein demonstrates compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment