Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dance, Dance!

"She took tiny steps in the dirt in front of her house, sometimes making a slow twirl, sometimes smiling to herself," (page 129).

This dancing girl confuses me beyond belief! Who the heck dances after their entirely family has been burned and you're the only one alive? I am almost positive it is not a ritual because Henry Dobbins seemed pretty sure about himself when he stated that the girl just liked to dance. So I am going to assume that it was a coping mechanism for the girl. I guess it is a good thing that she can celebrate their life instead of mourning their death, right? It always pays off when you can look at the glass half-full instead of half-empty. But I'm still confused as to why O'Brien would put this scene in the novel. It doesn't add much to the book, but it does make the audience read the chapter over a couple of times (atleast I did). He's trying to send some sort of secret message (they always are), but I can't figure it out! Anyone have any idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment