Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A litte good luck

"No cover at all, but he just slipped the pantyhose over his noe and breathed deep and let the magic do its work. It turned us into a platoon of believers. You don't dispute facts," (page 112).

This quote reminds me of the first chapter when O'Brien is listing the things the soldiers carried and he mentions how they all have their own good luck charms. Someone carried a rabbit's foot, one carried a good-luck pebble, and someone else carried a thumb that had been presented to him as a gift. In this chapter, Dobbins was invulnerable because he carried his girlfriend's panty house around his neck. It seems stupid at first, but I can see where he is coming from. Sometimes things like that are unexplainable. I do believe in luck, which not many can say. There are several situations that one has no control over and it has nothing to do with decision-making. You are just at the wrong place at the wrong time and it's not your fault you didn't see it coming. It is luck. My junior year, my luck was terrible; therefore, I bought a bracelet with a bunch of saints and icons on it. In my mind, it keeps me safe and has brought me good luck all summer! Atleast, that's how I see it. Sometimes it's comforting to believe that you can rely on an object for good fortune; it relieves the pressure to make your own luck.

1 comment: