Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Aphorism...maybe

Alright, I'm going out on a limb here, so bear with me. So far throughout the novel, Jake and Brett continue to engage in debacles in which Brett feels she needs to leave, and Jake asks her to keep him company. Although she continues to break his heart, whether it be with the company of another man or the simple fact that she is leaving him, he presses a sincere smile and treats her with utter respect and endearment. However, in chapter four, page 42, the author identifies his sadness with an aphorism...or atleast I think. In the concluding paragraph he mentions, "It is awfully easy to be hard-boiled about everything in the daytime, but at night it is another thing," (page 42). In other words, when he is accompanied by others, particularly Lady Ashley, hiding his anguish is easier than when he is alone during the night. This thought is relevant to everyone, not just Jake. More often than not, I put on a happy face when I'm in a crowd, even if I am upset about something; on the other hand, those repressed emotions are made apparent when I am my own company later in the evening. Heartbreak is a timeless despair experienced by almost everyone, and the manner that Hemmingway portrays it allows the audience to relate to his mental state.

No comments:

Post a Comment