Thursday, July 8, 2010

Labels!

From the very commencement of the book, I have been debating on what character holds what position in the story, and how their personality changes throughout the story. I never wanted to put anything in writing because I wanted to be sure of where I stand on each individual. I think I have got some of them down! Here it goes:

  • Static Character- Okay, in my opinion, Michael is a static character in TSAR. For the most part, he is an arrogant, sarcastic, jerk. He keeps me entertained, but he never knows when to stop, often leading to conflict between him and Cohn. For example, "Let up on that Mike I was sorry I said it...Oh shove it along, Michael," (page 170). Mike does not change much throughout the story, in part I think it is because he's got the girl. But who knows, things can change.
  • Flat Character- I may have said this before, but I will say it again. Brett is the flat character in the novel, no doubt about it. She's amusing, but only because she's a flirt. The reader can easily sum up her few personality traits into one phrase. What I find interesting is how everyone desires Brett to be their own; although, there is not much depth to her. If you ask me, she seems like every other typical high school girl. But don't let my bitterness fool you; I am quite fond of Brett.
  • Round Character- At the beginning of the book I probably would not have said so, but up to this point I would say that Robert Cohn is a round character. At first he seemed boring and one-dimensional; on the other hand, seeing his reaction to criticism from Mike and Frances revealed a less conceited side to his personality. Sure, he wants the girl and goes after what he wants, but he is also embarrassed by the fact that she is dragging him along. I kind of felt myself feeling sympathy for Cohn in chapter 15. I'm sure it gets tiring being the butt of everyone's jokes.

MORE TO COME :)

No comments:

Post a Comment