Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cohn's Character...Ugh.

Although I'm only on page 46 of TSAR, I'm beginning to discover the personality of Robert Cohn; however, part of him still remains a mystery. The author uses indirect characterization to reveal the flaws and thoughts of Cohn, mostly using Jake's opinion to get the idea across. For example, on page 47, Robert and Jake are in an argument mostly centered around Brett, and Jake expresses his irritation with Robert. " 'You're really about the best friend I have Jake.' God help you, I thought," (page 47). I find this quote interesting because it's almost like their friendship is slightly unrequited Even though Robert feels that Jake is the best person he knows, Jake does not feel the same way...But why? If Jake does not consider Robert to be a close companion, then why does he lead Robert to believe so?

Another thing that bamboozled (I love that word) me in chapter five especially, was their casual use of the phrase "I love you". I have been raised to think that love comes after getting to know someone and that saying you love someone is considered to be a "big" deal. But throughout the novel so far, people pass around the term as if it is an every day habit. For example, after meeting Brett for the first time, Robert Cohn expresses his endearment for her to Jake. "I do. I wonder if I were in love with her," (page 46). I find it particularly annoying because first of all, Cohn is supposed to be marrying Frances. Also, not only is he already promised to another woman, but Jake is considered his best friend. If Robert is not aware of his best friend's previous engagements with Brett, then he is a lousy friend. And if he IS aware of their past relationship, then he is a lousy friend. A lose-lose situation. This just adds to my apathy toward Robert Cohn.

1 comment: