Sunday, July 4, 2010

Where is the emotion?

And the confusion continues... Who is the main character?! The first two chapters make Robert seem like the story will be based around him. However, when the third chapter rolls around, Jake is the center of attention when meets his new friend, Georgette. Then, the fourth chapter also revolves around Jake and his relationships while Robert is placed on the back burner. Honestly, I'm not quite fond of either one. Their unhappiness and lack of humor drives me nuts. In fact, Georgette and Brett are the only two characters to interest me so far. Maybe I'm being sexist, but they atleast attempt to show some attitude and a bit of emotion.

Brett's dialect also reflects a little bit of who she is in society during the time period, too. "Hell you chaps...I'm going to have a drink," ( pg 36). Her choice of words tells me that women don't hold such an inferior position in society as I thought they had. Which leads to my next question.. What exact time period is it? Somebody help me out.

1 comment: