Thursday, July 8, 2010

Life in a Box...Don't Let Society Fool You

Alright, Chapter 13 continued...(hang in there)

"When the next bull came out, all three, the two bulls and the steer, stood together, their heads side by side, their horns against the newcomer. In a few minutes the steer picked the new bull up, quieted him down, and made him one of the herd. When the last two bulls had been unloaded the herd were all together," (page 145).

Totally genius and completely relevant! Take a moment to think about it. When one is born, three or four people are there to greet him/her. A nurse takes the baby, quiets him/her down, and hands him/her off to it's mother so she can make him/her a part of the family. When the child enters school, the teachers take him/her, train and teach him/her the rules, and make him/her a part of their class. The same thing can be said for a job and life in the real world. In all honesty, it can basically be said for everything. We live by society's rules which puts us in a box and conforms us to abide by the laws we have been raised to follow. If not, then we are alone, making us the dangerous one. The violent one, exactly like the lone bull in the book. How unfair is that? I mean, how are we supposed to "follow our heart" and "seek individuality" if we are hindered by everyone and everything surrounding us? It is a joke.


Okay...now on to point # 2

"Why don't you say something, Robert? Don't sit there looking like a bloody funeral. What if Brett did sleep with you? She's slept with lots of better people than you," (page 146).

Ouch! As I have mentioned earlier, I am not a big fan of Robert Cohn; however, it takes someone gutsy to say something like that to a middleweight boxing champion. I cannot decide if I feel bad for Robert in this scene or not; he definitely deserved to be put in place, but Michael almost took it too far. I understand he had been drinking and it was all said in the heat of the moment, but he should have atleast let Robert leave with his private parts. Jeez! I will admit that before this part of the chapter, I was beginning to fall asleep. The intense fight caught my attention, though! I knew there was going to be tension on the trip, I was just waiting for something or someone to spark the fire!

And now point #3...

"He calls her Circe...He claims she turns men into swine. Damn good. I wish I were one of these literary chaps," (page 148).

I could not use any better way to describe Brett. Although she is promiscuous and sort of shallow, I still like her. She makes the book interesting, keeps the drama coming, and knows her way with the men. Oh yeah! This quote is also an allusion. "Circe was skilled in the magic of metamorphosis, the power of illusion, and the dark art of necromancy. When Odysseus landed on her island, she transformed his men into animals," (http://www.theoi.com/Titan/Kirke.html).

No comments:

Post a Comment