Friday, July 9, 2010

Au Revoir!!

There are two final points I want to make in Chapter 19:

"She looked away I thought she was looking for another ciarette. Then I saw she was crying. I could feel her crying. Shaking and crying. She wouldn't look up. I put my arms around her," (page 246).

Aha! So Brett finally fell in love this time. It sucks when you are the one getting hurt, doesn't it Lady Ashley? I think I finally figured her out. The woman may seem confident in the way she walks, talks, and acts, but I think she feels completely unworthy. She never stays with men that she truly cares about (Jake and Romero) because in her opinion they deserve better than someone like herself. And when she realized how she truly felt about Romero, she sent him off. Although she is only a character in a book, I think Brett symbolizes women in all parts of the world. I know that in high school, many girls who do not carry self respect, give themselves to people who do not respect them, either. They get called all sorts of names, and many times people think they deserve what the way they are treated when the reasoning behind their promiscuous appearance is their lack of self-esteem.

THE LAST LINE OF THE BOOK IS RIDICULOUS!!!! Honestly, Hemingway, how could you end it with a line like that?? Your entire audience has been waiting for something to spark between Jake and Brett the entire novel and you never let it play out! Other than the love interests in the story, I thought the book was rather boring. Nothing really caught my attention until around Chapter 13. Maybe it is because I like the whole fighting-for-the-one-you-love-thing, but I have higher hopes for The Things They Carried. Maybe we'll get to see blood and death or something more attention-grabbing than bull fighting.

That's all folks! Finally.

1 comment: