Thursday, July 8, 2010

WHOA DREAM BIG!


"I don't think I dreamt."
" 'You ought to dream,' Bill said. 'All our biggest business men have been dreamers. Look at Ford. Look at President Coolidge. Look at Rockefeller. Look at Jo Davidson," (page 129).

I might be going on a long shot here, but to me, this sentence is a perfect example of verbal irony. Bill did not say it in a sarcastic or demeaning manner; he was providing Jake with advice. Pretty good advice if you ask me. At first, he was talking about the literal dream he had the night before, but then turned the statement around into something bigger and powerful.

This is one of my favorite quotes out of the book. Although Bill rants about nonsense majority of the time, some of what he says really has depth to it. I'm a firm believer in having big dreams, even if they are too big to be reasonable. The best advice I have ever received is this: "If the worst they can do is say no, you really have nothing to be scared of. Go for it." Which is true, in so many ways. Applying for colleges in the fall really scares the life out of me, especially when I am clueless as to where I want to go or where I belong. Most of time I am hindered by fear of failure, and it's a terrible philosophy to live by. There are so many things I want to do in the future, many of which I will most likely never get around to, but it is good to dream isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. I don't really follow your argument for that quote qualifying as verbal irony

    ReplyDelete