Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Bartleby the Scrivener"

This story is odd. Actually, it was more boring than anything. The lack of action and climactic events put me to sleep on more than one occasion. In the beginning of the story, the narrator, who is also the boss, gives a direct characterization of Nippers, Turkey, and Ginger Nut. The narrator comes right out and tells us what the characters are like and their mood swings throughout the day. He also goes the extra mile to tell us his opinion of the characters as well. But with Bartleby, the narrator knows little to nothing about him. This makes Bartleby the flat character. Although he never undergoes anything significant changes, and he never reveals any information himself, I still find him to be more interesting than the other characters due to the lack of information. I want to know WHY he is the way he is, and I want to know where he comes from. For now, I am just going to invent some theories on my own! Feel free to contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment