Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Interpreter of Maladies

This story, in my opinion, was a perfect example of SITUATIONAL IRONY. There was definitely a discrepancy between what I thought I was going to happen and what actually happened. At first, Mr. Kapasi seemed sort of apalled by the Das family and their lack of affection toward one another. However, when he becomes attracted to Mrs. Das and begins to look at her in a different way, I thought Mrs. Das felt similar feelings toward Mr. Kapasi. Even though I was grossed out (again) by the age difference, I knew that Mrs. Das felt lonely or insecure or something, and she defined Mr. Kapasi's career as "romantic," which made me think she felt intimate toward him. Therefore, the entire story I was convinced the two of them were going to get together, or something was going to happen between the two of them in the car when she refuses to go with the rest of her family. I DESPISE THAT WOMAN. Although it was wrong for Mr. Kapasi to have those desires considering he was married, the poor man was led on and felt confident with himself. She sparked some sort of interest in him (nothing that I understood, of course) and she totally shot him down. Both "Interpreter of Maladies" and "How I Met My Husband" had ironic endings that I did not predict!

No comments:

Post a Comment