Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"Miss Brill"

Although there is almost no description of Miss Brill in the story, I managed to develop an image of what I believe her appearance looks like. Because she refers to her countless Sundays spent at the park (which I am assuming that is where she is located for the majoriy of the story), I assumed her age to be old. It seems as though she is alone, or lonely (possibly never marriedb because her name is MISS Brill), which is another reason why I pictured her to be of old age. Because of this, I see her with white-gray hair. Also, I pictured her to be elegant while she was wearing her fur. I think that the fur is black because she says that she used "black sealing-wax" on it when it was necessary. I think of her to be plump, not fat, just not very thin, either.

Although the story was short, making it more enjoyable than some of the other short stories we have read, I did not really understand some of the things occurring thruoghout the story. I do not understand the signficance of the "ermine to toque." I don't even understand what it is. Also, I do not understand why Miss Brill thinks she heard something crying in the last line of the story. There seems to be a hidden message, and I am clearly not getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment