Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Relating Edie to Modern Teenage Girls

Out of the three short stories, the one I found the most interesting and least confusing is "How I Met My Husband" by Alice Munro. I think the girl in the story can easily be related to many girls in high school. They are flattered by the attention of older men and naive in their belief that men are not liars and they are genuinely interested in caring for them. I always stereotype men in the early 1900s to be more charismatic and respectful, and this short story is a perfect example of why it is wrong to stereotype. Not only is the story timeless, but I love that she feels fright when trying on the clothes of Mrs. Peebles. I know for a fact that if I were in the same shoes, I would want to try on the elegant dresses and expensive jewelry! The anxiety she feels after Chris Watters sees her in the dress was so easy to relate to, too. I always stress myself out when I am afraid that something so small will get me into huge trouble, and the secret becomes my main priority. Honestly, I do no think she would have gotten into too much trouble for trying on the clothes, but I definitely can see where she is coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment