Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"A Worn Path"

Although there were vague parts of the story, I think that the theme of "A Worn Path" lies in Grandmother's conquest of medecine for her grandson. Although she is old and frail, and the weather is cold and dreadful, the grandma walks with her cane into town. The entire story, I was wondering why she was walking, where she was walking to, and who in the heck was the narrator. It gave hints at the beginning as to who the narrator was, but I think I will have to read the story once more in order to understand. However, in the end, everyone treats the grandma as though she is some charity case, but she doesn't act like one. She journeys in the cold soley to help someone she cares deeply about. She has the ability to keep going even when conditions are rough. For awhile, I thought that maybe the grandmother was dillusional and the grandson was already dead, but now I am not sure. If he is alive, I do not know what his illness is, and I am not sure if they give hints to it in the story or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment