Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"A Rose for Emily"

This story had me a little confused at times. I don't understand why "they" keep referring to the taxes she had not paid. Not to mention she constantly said,"I have no tax in Jefferson." (Why wouldn't she have tax in Jefferson!?) I am assuming that they refer to her taxes to show how distant and isolated she was from the rest of her town. She didn't follow the same guidelines as everyone else. I also think that they elaborated on how the neighborhood she lived in was becoming deserted in order to show how she was removed from society. Another thing that had me bamboozled (hahaha) was at the end of story, when they discover the body lying in the bed with the imprint in the sheets next to the corpse, was the dead body her father or Homer, her supposed husband?? Those two characters confused me, too. As you can tell, I really need to read this story again because I obviously didn't understand well the first time!! If anybody can give me a clear explanation, too, that would be great. OH! and is the narrator the people trying to get taxes from Emily???

No comments:

Post a Comment